Everything you need to know about motorhome insurance

Whether you’re a casual road tripper or a regular explorer, if you own a motorhome or campervan, you’ll need a specialist insurance policy. After all, it’s much more than a vehicle – it’s essentially a home on wheels, so it’s important to make sure you’re fully protected both on and off the road.

Motorhome insurance

What is motorhome and campervan insurance?

Motorhome insurance covers your vehicle, you, your passengers and third parties for damage, accidents and theft. It is a legal requirement in the UK, unless you officially register your vehicle as off the road (you’ll need to contact the DVLA for that).
Campervans tend to be smaller than motorhomes, and while you can get specialist cover for them, they are covered by most motorhome policies.

How much cover do I need?

The cover you require will depend on a number of factors and each provider will offer different levels of protection. It’s a good idea to compare motorhome insurance deals to get a better idea of what’s available.

Third party or third party, fire and theft policies mean that you will have to cover any damage caused to your motorhome. The best level of protection is a fully comprehensive policy, which covers damage or injury caused to other people or their vehicle, as well as compensation if your motorhome is damaged, stolen or destroyed by someone else.

Depending on what you need, some comprehensive insurance policies come with a variety of useful add-ons. These include contents insurance for personal belongings, awnings or camping gear, motorhome breakdown cover, windscreen repair, no claims discount protection and European cover if you plan on driving abroad. Insurance providers such as Caravan Guard and Safeguard allow you to tailor your coverage and only choose the options you need, helping to keep your premium low.

Motorhome insurance

What doesn’t the insurance cover?

Generally, most insurance policies won’t cover damage through general wear and tear, infestations of vermin or theft caused by negligence on your part, such as leaving the door unlocked or a window open. Most policies also won’t cover you if you live in your motorhome full time or if you use it for business purposes.

How much does motorhome insurance cost?

The cost of insurance will depend on factors such as the model, age and number of drivers, your address, mileage, how much you use it, your no-claims history and any modifications you have made to the vehicle.

How can I make my motorhome insurance cheaper?

There are a few ways you can make your motorhome insurance cheaper, such as paying annually, limiting mileage, parking it off-road in a secure location, installing a reversing camera and having advanced driving qualifications. Specialist motorhome insurers can offer deals and you can also benefit from discounts if you opt for caravan and motorhome club insurance.
Improving safety features can also help you to get a cheaper quote from insurers. Some companies will insist on you having certain safety features such as a Thatham Category 1 approved alarm or tracking system. Most motorhomes come with a factory fitted immobiliser but not a Category 1 approved system, so it’s definitely worth having these extra features fitted to save you money.

Where can I get motorhome insurance?

To benefit from the best motorhome insurance, we recommend going to a specialist provider. Our partners, Caravan Guard & Safeguard, offer great value for money, with 10-day free insurance cover for customers who buy one of our new or used motorhomes for sale. For extra peace of mind, we also offer extensive cover from Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, one of the UK’s leading insurers.

To find out more, call 01493 601696 or email sales@simpsonsmotorcaravans.com.

Motorhome insurance